Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The kindle is cool

I recently purchased a Kindle and thought I'd share my experience with you about how it is such a Life Enhancing Device (LED).


Apropos of my last post about the importance of learning and gaining myriad life experience, the Kindle opens up new possibilities and more cost effective and easier access to books, reading and learning.

The Kindle is Amazon.com's foray into the eBook Reader market. With the Kindle 3, it's now at the third version of the device. And most techo companies require three versions to really begin to get their technology matured and close to functional usability. The Kindle 3 has now reached that point, and with a price that equates to a couple of tanks of petrol (or for those in the USA 'gas'), you're crazy if you don't get yourself one.

The Kindle 3 comes in a 3G with WiFi version, that has international free roaming over the 3G network worldwide. Free that is for purchasing and automatically downloading books from Amazon.com, along with browsing wikipedia.com. It also allows you to email pdf's and MSWord .doc files to a free.kindle.com email address that automatically converts the files to .mobi format, the native format for the Kindle, and downloads them for free to your Kindle via any WiFi connection.

With thousands and thousands of free and inexpensive eBooks available at sites like ProjectGutenberg.org and Amazon.com, you can now fill your Kindle with more books than you'll ever be able to read. And if you want to buy a new book from one of your favorite Authors, you'll find that you'll recoup the price of the Kindle with the purchase of your first few Kindle versions of the books, compared to the inflated prices being charged for dead-tree books these days. Browse online with the Kindle, click to purchase and the book is downloaded, ready for reading in seconds. You'll never be without something to read again!


The device is thin, light, brilliantly easy to read with it's cool e-ink screen technology. And the battery lasts for weeks between charges (providing you turn off the WiFi when not requiring it). This means you can take your Kindle on overseas adventures and not worry about trying to find a place to recharge it.


As my friend Ryan said recently, after he'd purchased and used his new Kindle, "I love the Kindle, it's the best thing I've ever owned in my life". Which is a BIG claim given he is a techo from way back and is definitely not gadget challenged. Yup, I do totally agree with him, the Kindle is a Life Enhancing Device. It's cool.

smiles and life enhancing wishes,
Grant

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about the Kindle lately. Up till now I've been opposed to it, being one of those who loves a beautifully bound book and all that. Now it's just a matter of deciding which model to get. I can't think why I wouldn't be happy with the most basic model, can you? I can't think why I would have the sudden need to download books away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jean, there's nothing quite like the smell and feel of a 'real' book. But there's also nothing quite like the convenience and utility of a Kindle. The most basic model will do fine. But then again, for not that much more, with the 3G model you get the freedom to be able to buy and download a book when and if you need to. Like if you find yourself sitting in an airport, with hours to kill, and want to spoil yourself with a new book to read...

    smiles, Grant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree with Ryan. I've been a voracious reader all my life and said I would never give up hard copy books. Yeah right ... had my Kindle a year, apart from massive savings, I'm reading more than ever before and enjoying books I might never have picked up in the bookshop. My only regret, my Kindle owning friends and I should have registered under one name, then we could all be sharing our purchases. Absolutely my very favourite 'toy' of recent times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jan, you are so right! The ease of use and functionality of the Kindle and the lower cost of books for it means we end up reading many more books, and books we'd otherwise not have shelled out the money for. It's great. And yes, if only we could lend Kindle books to each other, it would facilitate the process even more powerfully. I believe Amazon have just opened up the ability for libraries to start loaning Kindle ebooks. Looking forward to that!

    smiles, Grant

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts and comments...